Avila & Shaddow Attorneys at Law
Call For A Free Consultation
818-676-9658 / 866-450-4LAW
Se Habla Español
Menu Contact
Aggressive Protection of Your Rights Under The Law

Can a California employee leave work to care for an adult child?

Sometimes life brings unexpected circumstances that require extra special attention. People have babies, people get sick and people have emergencies they need to deal with. When these extraordinary circumstances happen, people often wonder if their jobs will be safe under employment laws if they need to take time off from work.

One of the occasions where people may ask this question is when an adult child is seriously injured. When people's children are seriously hurt, no matter their ages, they are likely to need their parents help. Under the federal Family Medical Leave Act and the California Family Rights Act, when a child is over the age of 18, they are considered disabled if they have a serious health condition or qualifying disability and they are unable to take care of themselves because of their disability or health condition. In order to show that a person cannot take care of themselves, they must need help in at least three of their day-to-day activities including eating, cleaning, cooking or bathing.

However, in order for these rules to apply to an employee, that employee must otherwise qualify under the FMLA or CFRA. Both of statutes have eligibility requirements including the number of employees in a workplace, the number of hours worked by the employee and the amount of time the employee has worked for the employer. If an employee does not qualify for FMLA or CFRA then that employee may not qualify for unpaid leave to care for a disabled child.

If people qualify under FMLA or CFRA and they have a qualified reason to take leave, then under they are entitled to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave. When people need these benefits and qualify for them, employers are responsible for keeping their job open. If an employer fails to follow these employee laws, then that employer could face legal punishment. No employee should have to suffer through illegal treatment after dealing with a personal crisis.

Source: The Herald, "Sara Boyns: Protected leave to care for adult child," Sara Boyns, Jan. 24, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Avila & Shaddow

We offer an initial consultation at no charge. Please call our office at 818-676-9658 or 866-450-4LAW. You may also contact our attorneys via email using the form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Avila & Shaddow Attorneys at Law

Southern California
21800 Oxnard Street
Suite 1180 - Penthouse
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

Phone: 818-676-9658
Fax: 818-337-7265
Map & Directions

  • LACBA Los Angels Country Bar Association
  • Rated By Super Lawyers Mark S. Avila
  • California Employment Lawyers Association
  • Avvo Ratings Excellent Top Attorney Employment Law
  • Consumer Attorneys Association Of Los Angels Sustaining Member
  • AV Preeminent Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence